Monday, February 4, 2008

Introductory Meditations

Well, here it is, my first blog, my first communication into the larger world of cyberspace aside from dabblings in online poetry publishing and the all-important social connector, such as Facebook.

Isn't it amazing how just one little thing can completely shake up your world, like a new acquaintance, music, book, or even an idea? Everything fits into place and then BAM. That new something or other decides to scramble all your carefully laid plans. But isn't that what makes life interesting, the discovery that rocks your world, that suddenly changes all your predetermined ideals and rules? I think so.

I personally have the belief that I ought to try almost everything once. This especially applies to food, since I am too afraid to try bungee jumping or sky diving once. I should, but my thinking is that once is enough to kill you, whereas most foods you run across are safe to eat, and the worst thing you will get from them is food poisoning or a particularly bad stomach ache. How do you know you don't like something until you try it? I cannot count the number of times I have been so thankful I tried something I normally wouldn't have because it ended up become a favorite. The perfect example is my love of Indian cuisine. In my opinion, it encompasses some of the most wonderful flavors and recipes in the world, but I wouldn't have arrived at that conclusion if I hadn't tried it out first. My favorite band presents us with another example. I was going through my CDs one day, deciding which ones to give away, and I came across The Clash Singles CD. I could have, in that split second, decided just to let it go without listening to it again. Instead, I popped it in the player, and an obsession was born.

So, today, go out and try something new. Say yes to something you normally wouldn't. I'm not suggesting you go throw yourself off a cliff because it sounds cool, but take a class, try escargot, or look at something from a different perspective. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

1 comment:

Staci Williams said...

I like it. I find it hard to try new foods, being a picky eater, but I do try to eat new foods every so often. And I could never go sky diving because of a saying on my brother's shirt. . .