Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer Vacation

Well, it's that time of year again. And, like most years, I outwardly greatly anticipate the release of summer from the almost unendurably long hours of studying and writing papers, but inside, I fear the impending boredom and depression. While I love summer vacation, there is something about doing everything at once to doing nothing inevitably depresses me beyond belief every time I get a break from school. It's as if my mind can't completely shut off, and I'm faced with the daunting possibility of trying to do just that. Everyone rattles on and on about how much they love summer vacation, from the morning hours wasted wonderfully by sleeping in and the afternoon hours spent lounging by the pool, doing nothing in particular except working on their tan. In the evening, most kids my age cut loose with a party or a movie night, or some other form of mildly amusing entertainment. Those long hours of doing nothing quickly get on my nerves. I feel useless, unproductive, and lonely, and my spirits sink to a previously unimaginable low. The happy, smiling girl of a month previous disappears inside a sullen, disagreeable "teenager" continually munching on potato chips or ice cream sandwiches.

This year, however, things have been different. I have things to do, for one. I was home for a week (a week where I house sat for some friends and ran around contentedly), then my cousin Beth Anne and I flew off to Boston for nine days. Everyday we did something new and exciting, whether it was walking down the freedom trail and picking up cannolis along the way or shopping on one of the most high-end streets of retail in the U.S. of A., every day was crammed full of interesting things. After I got back, I started a class, Microeconomics, at the local community college only days after returning from my East Coast Adventure. While it's nothing to brag about, it does keep me interested. I have to worry about grades and supply curves and demand shifters and what stupid thing my teacher is going to say come next class period. Sure, griping isn't the best alternative, but it keeps me interested. My cousin's moving down to Scottsdale in July (busy busy), my friends and I are planning short trips and Backstreet Boys Bonanzas (don't ask, please don't ask), and a trip to California in July.

I guess all I'm saying is that for once, I'm happy during the summer, and feeling productive. I guess all it takes is a few goals set firmly in place and a month-long bus pass. Who knew life's problems could be resolved so easily?

2 comments:

Alice in Libraryland said...

I was kind of worrying about you, but seeing it all in print alleviates those worries and shows that, yes, things are happening for you. I do have one question, however--what "short trips" are you referring to, hmmmm?--Ma

Staci Williams said...

Hmm, Backstreet Boys Bananzas? I don't need to ask about that. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels unproductive, and hates the feeling which only brings down my mood further. Luckily, I've been able to keep myself busy with reading books, writing a fanfic, DDR, and cleaning the house (sort of).